02-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
wrp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmaniac View Post
I spoke to the service coordinator this morning two hours after dropping off the X3. They said they conducted a pressure check and everything appeared normal. They also stated that it is normal for these engines to consume coolant and that I should not be concerned. I asked to speak to the service manager to voice my concern that having my low coolant light come on three times in under 4000 miles is considered normal. We had a civil discussion and I asked them to check multiple other variables, some of which were mentioned in previous posts. I received a call back a few hours later and they said that a slow leak was found on a line on the bottom half of the motor and a new hose would have to be ordered from Germany. I thanked them for their diagnosis of the problem and will now wait for the part to arrive in a week or two.

I can't help but feel frustrated by this entire experience. First, since when is adding coolant three times in two months to a vehicle considered normal? I am a previous multiple Audi owner over the past twelve years and have never had to add coolant to any of the three vehicles I had. Secondly, why can't the service department take the time to thoroughly do their job?

I guess I just had to rant a little bit about the experience. At the end of the day, the problem was identified and will be corrected without any damage done to the vehicle. Thanks to everyone for responding and offereing your advice.
This is a big loose-loose situation. It sounds like they already charged BMW for the time the service tech spent to not find any problems, and they really can't charge BMW to look at the same problem so soon. So the subsequent time that is spent to check again is on the dealer clock, which will make any dealer get nasty.

Plus dealers don't like to admit that any of their service techs ever do anything wrong. And now you've been marked as a whiny customer, so you'll always get substandard service - until the dealer is either acquired by someone else or they get a major kick in the ass by BMW.
Appreciate 0