10-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #19
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb47 View Post
Oh great to hear you are having minimal and minor problems, so the Dynamic Handling Package, what exactly does it do? I know it changes the steering from situation to situation but wouldn't that be a whole lot of confusion?

Here in aus we only have 2 separate options, Variable Damper Control and Variable Sport steering.

We also have Performance Control land Sport suspension which I am not really sure on what they do, could someone enlighten me with some info please?
DHP tightens up the suspension to reduce body roll. I can feel the change immediately after switching modes and prefer to leave it in the firmer mode.

The dynamic suspension is also supposed to make driving on bumpy roads smoother. That's harder to test as I don't know if it's active all the time or only in sports mode.

The nice thing is in sports mode you can select if you want the changes to apply to the transmission, chassis (steering/suspension) or everything.

The transmission changes are also very noticeable. The car holds gears much longer before switching up getting to considerably higher rpm's. Response time is much faster. It's a blast to drive in this mode, although the car feels jerky from the sudden gear shifts and I'm guessing mpg takes a nose dive.

The system also has something called Performance Control which I think controls how traction control and other handling attributes respond. Sports+ mode will allow the tire to spin a little bit before activating traction control to stop the spin. This is supposed to allow the tire to find grip in certain situations.

Regarding steering, the tightening of the steering wheel is very noticeable. I've only had it a day and haven't had a chance to see how it affects actual turning. It felt that having the steering tightened required the steering wheel to be turned further to make a turn, but that sounds like opposite of what you'd expect to happen. I'll test it more today focusing on steering feel & changes in different modes.