View Single Post
      01-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

E70 X5 Diesel to F25 X3 35i - Rattles and Size

Hi all, I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 2013 X3 35i MSport, Convenience, Tech, Heated Seats, etc. etc.

Currently my wife drives my old 2009 X5 35D. We're looking to get into a newer car for a handful of reasons, and I'm hoping people can provide perspective to our situation.

1. Our warranty expires this Summer, and having 3 recalls in the last year and another CEL, I'm not comfortable owning the X5 without a warranty, so it's either pop down $4k, or get into a newer vehicle before the warranty expires.

2. Our X5D is missing a couple of features my wife really wants, most notably, rear backup camera and heated seats.

3. My wife would like something a little bit quicker and more responsive

Anyways, we're contemplating getting the X3 or a new X5 35i with SAV or MSport package.

We're getting a bit tired of the diesel, including the significant price premium it now commands. Also, it is quite loud at low speeds and can be a bit sluggish off the line at times.

Now to my main questions:

Q1: Our X5 is a rattle bucket. The armrests on the door and center consoles creek with any pressure on them. Also, under cornering, the whole body flexes and the plastic trim components squeak as the body flexes. The diesel motor at certain RPMs creates vibrations that can make certain components I've yet to track down rattle.

Today I test drove an X6 50i and it shares the same interior as our X5. It rattled even worse. It is truly unacceptable for a BMW to rattle this much.

On the bright side, my E90 M3, my buddies 135i and my other friend's E90 328i doesn't rattle, so this seems to be exclusive to the X5/X6 interior.

Can anyone comment on the plastic components of the X3 making all sorts of flexing/creaky noises?

2. Has anyone gone from an E70 to an X3. Any comments on size, especially the overall feeling of space in the front seat. The X5 does seem quite wide and you can sprawl out while driving. The X6 also was like this.

Finally, any comments on the trunk space. We have a 25 LB dog and a 45 LB dog that are usually quarantined to the trunk. I don't anticipate any problem here.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0