View Single Post
      11-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #13
TheUrbanCowboy
Rep
Drives: BMW F25

I also have the same issue. I have P7 on 19" in summer and Dunlop 4D on 17" in winter and the noise difference is pretty big, especially when doing 90-100 mph when I am on business travel.

What is freaking me out is not the noise level per se (could be quieter) but the story around that when I ordered the X3 for our company. The sales lady was really making an effort to persuade me to buy an X5. Given my already stretched budget I would have probably had to order one with plastic BBQ seats and no headlights. She used several arguments to discourage me from buying an X3. The first was the "look" of the plastic dashboard on the passenger side. I agree a little with that. The second was about how BMW intentionally used thinner sound protection from the engine and the wheels in the "3 range" (X3, 3 series) to persuade people to buy the "5 range" (X5, 5 series). She adviced me not to take tires wider than 245 for the X3 because they are going to be loud. And that's what I have now.

Those arguments did not go down well, to be honest. They are a fair way of marketing, but WTF (!) the company spent 60.000€ on a car. That's not peanuts! After all, BMW is a premium brand with premium prices, irrespective of whether that's a 114i or a 760iL!
Appreciate 0