bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Actually, these are AWESOME arguments that I just had with a friend today. Granted not all exactly the same but many were very similar.

Good point about noise in the cabin - I will listen for that. Price difference is also true and especially the point you made about the how much you are in car over X number of years.

Just got to find a 3.5 to test drive!

Well, I ordered a 3.5 so you know what direction I'm thinking . . . .

Recommend considering the following from my own decision process (not sure it was a good one, but it was mine!):

-- in my experience lower powered engines produce more noise in the cabin and generally draw more attention to themselves as they're more taxed to get the job done

-- the price difference over the life of the car and the hours spent in it can come down to a small number in comparison to other costs like cable TV, phone, beer, etc. and suggest that it's worth it if it's something you enjoy

-- check me on this, but I think the 3.5 actually gets better mileage

-- I dig, and use, most of the options so equipping the 2.8 shrunk the cost difference quickly with regard to the 3.5

-- My first BMW was a 325i; I had no idea what BMW's were like and hadn't even test driven the car; for the life of that car I regretted not springing for the 330i because I enjoyed the 325i soooo much I was sure the 330i would have been even better and more than worth the price difference.

Nothing really concrete there, but those are some of the things I was thinking when choosing in case it helps.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0