View Single Post
      09-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Wind Noise and Traffic Noise

From the moment I took delivery of my X3 on 8/11 I am having this somewhat excessive wind and traffic noise. Wind noise generated by the big mirrors at speeds over 75-80 mph is to me acceptable for an SUV. My problem is, I hear noise of passing cars in town at lower speeds like 30-40 mph and wind noise starts exactly at 50 mph from both driver and passenger sides. What I hear is not something that a badly assembled sunroof or windshield produces, it's more like a systematic noise .

I took the car to the dealer for this issue. Their verdict was a predictable " Everything is normal" . After I insisted that it is not, they then offered to test drive another X3 , and yes that one had the exact same noise . I did not give up at that point either , and had them check their PUMA database for any TSBs on this. Result was none , and I had to let it go for now, but I still think this car, if not all a series of production at least, has a sound insulation problem with the doors and the windows which BMW is not accepting yet. Such a refined car does not deserve it. I would appreciate to hear if anyone else has the same feeling.

Last edited by Ural; 12-06-2011 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0