najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
There is absolutely no question whatsoever that copying and selling map discs is illegal. I have no need to save face. It's unarguably illegal, beyond any question. I simply cannot imagine that you honestly do not realize that. There is no conceivable way you can prove doing this is legal.

The fact that someone does something, or even that many people are doing it, doesn't prove that it's legal - it merely proves they are getting away with it. The fact that BMW isn't currently pursuing legal action against sellers of copied discs (or sellers of hacked FSCs) doesn't prove it's legal - it merely proves that's not currently a priority for BMW.

There's nothing "ridiculous" about my suggestion, which would be a way to establish how BMW really views illegal copying and sales of their nav discs.

Selling a hacked FSC is not even similar to selling aftermarket water pumps.
According to your logic, xbimmers / bimmerpost / bimmerforums / bimmertech / and any other forum or website that either sells these services or allows others to advertise and sell these services are at a minimum accomplices to theft and should be charged as such and sued for damages by BMW. Again, none of this is happening. All it takes is a cease and desist letter from a BMW attorney to shut all of this down, if it was illegal. So either BMW has an overworked legal department (unlikely) or a lazy legal department (unlikely) or these people/websites are operating within the law.
Appreciate 0