View Single Post
      01-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #47
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I think the vast majority on the F30 forums see the suspension hiearchy for RWD (in RWD configuration, DHP and Sport suspension use the same springs which have a higher spring rate than xDrive) as follows:

Sport suspension <= DHP < M Performance Suspension
Just to keep in mind the X3 crowd may put higher value on smooth/quiet ride (at least i am) and less so on the handling or max grip, so different audience and value perspective here.

BTW, I suspect the spring rates relative to vehicle weight is higher on the X3 than F30 to keep the high center of gravity in check. So we may want to go soft while F30 owners may prefer to go stiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post

At the end of the day, I'm convinced that any OEM solution (DHP or not) and any premium coilover solution (Bilstein PSS10, KW V2+, AST, Ohlins, etc.) will far surpass some driveway mechanic with a psychology degree mixing and matching springs/shocks. After all, BMW doesn't hire engineers to spend hundreds of thousands of man hours to design, simulate, test, etc. all this stuff just for lulz.
Totally agree with you here. Suspension tuning has so many interacting variables, even with modern day computing/simulation it is still a tough mix of art and science... In my book the top players are still BMW and Honda (i don't have much experience with Audi though).
Appreciate 0