Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG335Xi View Post
It appears to me that most people are overlooking the fact that it's really twin turbo with an ELECTRIC turbo added in....

Probably will just have some sort of electric compressor at the intake... no big deal.
That thought also occurred to me actually... there was talk of KERS technology from the F1 team spilling over... maybe this could be used to some extent on an electric turbo type set-up the likes of which we have never seen on a production vehicle. That would be very very interesting... but I think unlikely.

And I'm still betting on the V6 even after some good arguments by others... from a business perspective it just makes sense to chop down the S63 v8. Think about all the economies of scale that could be had if this engine is used in the Z4/X3/M3. The rods, pistons, etc all shared across Z4-M/X3-M/M3/M5/M6/X5-M/X6-M. BMW doesn't have the business partnerships to afford development of several engine solutions. The more they can save via economies of scale and margin improvement goes a long way to get them even with the competition. It's simply too good to pass up from a business and manufacturing viewpoint.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0