View Single Post
      04-25-2023, 09:38 AM   #6
leamsi_iso9001
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looker. View Post
Hey guys,

I am also driving a 2011 F25 with N55 engine, and this 101F01 code has been driving me crazy for almost 4 years.

This all started from a very noticeable rough idle at cold start but runs smoothly after warm up, and I started to change spark plugs, coils and nothing helped. After that I sent the car to the shop and completed a walnut blast to clean all the intake valves when the car was around 90k kms, and car returned all good with no rough idle at all. However, the rough idle at cold came back immediately after I reset adaptation only 2 months later, which kinda indicates intake valve carbon build up is not the root cause. Fortunately, the car was able to adapt and smooth out itself if I let the car idle like crap till it warms up a few times. The 101f01 code is always stored but no CEL if the car can adapt and smooth out itself. Otherwise, I could experience crazy misfire and even drive train malfunction during cold start.

Recently I have changed all spark plugs, ignition coils, injectors, MAP sensors and the car is at 120k kms, but the car is still experience the same thing. I also replaced both charge pipe and boost pipe with FTP ones, but car rans worse after the replacement. I did a smoke test and found out that the FTP charge pipe is leaking at the threads of the silver standoff where it connects vacuum line. So I strongly suggest whoever runs the FTP brand double check that connection, and it is prone to boost leak.

I just still don't understand why the car idles shit during cold start, and gradually gets better once it warms up. And I also can't understand the car is able to adapt and smooth out randomly but everything goes back to shit mode after reset adaptation. At this point, I am thinking if the intake manifold gasket might be the cause for rough idle during cold start.

I am also desperately seeking ideas and help from all you guys! I think we are all facing the challenges which is indeed miserable...

For what I've read so far, 101F01 is related to vaccum leak. Have you tried to smoke test the car for leaks? Even a very tiny leak can cause cel light on.
For rough idle after adaptation reset, this is normal. It is even wrote in the adaptation reset procedure, that the car may experience rough idle and misfires, even shutdown, but it will smooth during the time you run the car at different loads. The computer is adapting itselg and tuning valves opening and camshaft angles during this adaptation phase. It is advised to let the car run idle for 2mn after adaptation reset for basic adaptation.

Back to the 101F01, after throwing so much money, I have decided to order smoke leak detector machine; I will find this vaccum leak, it is between this engine and me now
Appreciate 0