03-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelFan View Post
For you East Coast folk, how well do the OEM "All Season" tires work in the snow? I've got the Cinturato P7 All Seasons on my 35i.

.... The Yosemite website states that HAVING chains is mandatory to get to certain passes.
I have a 35i that came with the P7 "All Seasons". they work OK in what we in the Midwest would consider light to moderate snow or about 1 to 3 inches. On anything deeper or roads covered with glare ice, they would probably not be be acceptable. This winter I was able to drive the X3 35i with P7s and then a Subaru Legacy turbo fitted with Bridgestone Blizzaks (LM-25s). the Blizzaks were dramatically better than the P7s in the same snow, but with appropriate caution, the X3/P7 combination was "usable". I'll certainly get a set of winter tires on new wheels for the X3 next winter.

If a Yosemite road has a "chains required" warning posted, the P7s are probably not going to do it. Remember, the AWD does not help with braking and does very little for lateral (turning) traction. For deep snow a tire with a dedicated winter tread pattern and a low-temp compound really makes a difference.

Think Nokian, Blizzaks, Pirelli Sottozeros or Dunlop SP 3Ds.

Regarding chains, BMW states:

Fine-link snow chains
Only certain types of fine-link snow chains have
been tested by the manufacturer of your vehicle,
classified as road-safe and recommended.
Consult your service center for more information.

Use
Use only in pairs on the rear wheels, equipped
with the tires of the following size:
▷ 205/65 R 17.
▷ 225/60 R 17.
▷ 245/50 R 18.

They are never allowed on the 19 inch wheels, and speed is limited to 20 mph.
Appreciate 0