10-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
Yeah sure, I could read the manual and eventually I will. But I'd like to hear some of the basics about the Sport/Normal driving mode and how to use it.

I have the M-Sport but did not elect to get the dynamic handling package.

So I have the Sport/Normal toggle next to the shifter (automatic) and the shift paddles on the steering wheel...

When you select sport mode, do you have to use the shift paddles? Will the car transmission just shift at different RPMs? Would the shift paddles still respond to a downshift in normal mode? Other than the transmission, is there anything else going on when 'sport' mode is selected? How's all that stuff work if you don't mind me asking...
No you don't have to. Shift timing and mapping will change to hold gears longer. Shift paddles can be used whenever you want, even if the gearshift lever is not in DS. If you use the paddles in D, however, the transmission will revert back to D if you do not select a new gear with the shift paddles for about 10-15 seconds. This is to allow for quick downshifts on the highway, for example, in the event that the transmission cannot react as quickly as you in an emergency.

SPORT will change the chassis control (brakes, steering, suspension) and engine dynamics (faster shifts, hold lower gears longer, more responsive throttle). You can select to have only the chassis changes, or to have only the engine changes, but you can have both change as well. SPORT+ automatically engages the SPORT chassis and engine settings, but it also activates DTC, which allows for more dynamic, rear oriented power control; up to 90% of the power can be transferred to the rear wheels. DTC mode also allows for greater traction on loose surfaces, such as when stuck in snow, ice, sand, or mud.
Appreciate 0