09-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive
Interesting.....I almost posted something like this a couple of months ago. When I first had the update done I notice the option for sports mode in the settings menu. I remember selecting it but I don't think anything took. So I basically blew it off; that it was for someone with sports mode. But a couple of months ago I was driving with my dad in the car, who is still a car and gadget nut at 80+ years old and was showing him the updates on the idrive. The sports selection showed up and I chose the chassis setting. Entering the next corner I swear the car was much tighter and had less body lean. The change seemed to be slight enough that I thought I might be smoking something. I've tried to test between the settings, but reproducing it is difficult.
The only two ways to make the car tighter in Sports mode is Dynamic Dampers or Variable Sports Steering.

The Dampers tighten the hardness and Sports Steering tightens the steering.

If you have both or one of them, you will feel the difference. Otherwise it's all in your mind.

It could of course be that it affects the transmission, but it would feel the same as putting the shiftlever in DS.
Appreciate 0