View Single Post
      02-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

I haven't done it. I checked for options I needed at the time of purchase. I do have some experience along these lines with my somewhat older Mercedes convertible. I abandoned the idea after researching for a couple of months and discovering that every year installing grey market electronics gets more and more difficult because of the increasing complexity of the electronics and the wiring. Steering wheel controls appear to be the biggest challenge.

The workaround I settled on for Mercedes (2010 SLK 300) is Bluetooth voice controls of the handset via the car's microphone & speakers. I can kick off phone calls and navigation by voice. I only use it for real time traffic updates and if the car's navigation starts to give bad directions.

I just realized you already said you don't have voice controls in your X3. This workaround won't work for you. I recommend checking with manufacturers of grey market equipment. They usually have a lot of background information and user groups where you can find detailed installation information. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Appreciate 0