View Single Post
      02-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #32
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
Well, I doubt that all of these companies would be bidding on SAAB if it wasn't worth saving. They need a huge multi-national company to take them over to make things profitable again. SAAB has some really nice designs and great heritage (similar to BMWs in that they started in the aviation industry, could be wrong on that one though). It is definitely a company worth saving. I just hope that if BMW does indeed take them over that they aren't going to spread themselves too thin.
But what exactly about Saab is worth saving in the first place? They always had that somewhat quirky image that appeals to certain niche buyers, but its' appeal is pretty limited in the more general auto market. Nor does Saab today offer anything really outstanding or must-have in terms of technology, innovation or overall product line-up. So what really is there that is worth saving?

Scand. engineers and designers? BMW is doing just fine with German engineers and international designers. I don't see how Saab engineers or designers can add value to BMW.

I can understand the Chinese wanting it, they are desperately trying to break into the global market, yet their automakers lag in technology and reliability. But for a leading brand like BMW, I don't see what is there for them to get from Saab.

Last edited by JohnMan; 02-21-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0