honeybadgerch
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 2.0d xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Not without significant expense.

Unfortunately there is a significant hardware difference.

iDrive 5 in the X3/4 also requires the NBT2 head unit hardware (AKA NBT EVO), which is also part of the 2017 models, and was not offered in 2016 or earlier. NBT2 includes a faster processor and LTE wireless connectivity along with over the air map updates.

For vehicles like the 2016 3 series and 2015-16 2 series that already have NBT2 hardware with iDrive 4.x, then it should be a simple(r) software-only upgrade. In the case of the X3 and 4 though, you're looking at a major expense because you'll need to purchase an NBT2 head unit as well. New NBT unit, new software, potentially other hardware (LTE modem which is also part of the NBT2 hardware), not to mention the expense of installation and finding someone knowledgeable enough to perform the install (the dealers won't offer it as a supported upgrade).

One of these years they'll make the entertainment hardware and software in these cars easier to upgrade, but right now automakers feel they would cannibalize sales by doing so (they would much rather you upgrade your vehicle, not just your NBT unit).
TonyCSV, I'm note sure you're entirely correct on that. As far as I understand, NBT EVO (iDrive 5.0 capable unit) started to be incorporated into builds as of April 2016, and as such, the later 2016 model X3s should have it (minus the touch screen, etc).

Or am I completely confused
Appreciate 0