View Single Post
      04-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #36
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
Any chance I can upgrade my car to iDrive 5?
Not without significant expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
That's what I'm thinking. My car was manufactured in January which could make a software update possible unless there is significant hardware difference between MY2016 and MY2017 iDrive systems.
Unfortunately there is a significant hardware difference.

iDrive 5 in the X3/4 also requires the NBT2 head unit hardware (AKA NBT EVO), which is also part of the 2017 models (US) (i.e. any X3 and X4 built after April 1st 2016, and was not offered earlier. NBT2 includes a faster processor and LTE wireless connectivity along with over the air map updates.

For vehicles like the 2016 3 series and 2015-16 2 series that already have NBT2 hardware with iDrive 4.x, then it should be a simple(r) software-only upgrade. In the case of the X3 and 4 though, you're looking at a major expense because you'll need to purchase an NBT2 head unit as well. New NBT unit, new software, potentially other hardware (LTE modem which is also part of the NBT2 hardware), not to mention the expense of installation and finding someone knowledgeable enough to perform the install (the dealers won't offer it as a supported upgrade).

One of these years they'll make the entertainment hardware and software in these cars easier to upgrade, but right now automakers feel they would cannibalize sales by doing so (they would much rather you upgrade your vehicle, not just your NBT unit).

Last edited by TonySCV; 04-27-2016 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0