Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
It's not an M engine. Similar to 1M.
But surely you can see where this harms the perception of the engine in the M2?

"Introducing the M2. Powered by the same N55B30T0 engine found in a compact SAV offering by the same manufacturer."

Might as well put the same engine in a minivan.

Blech I mean, I get it. Bespoke engines are bad for the bottom line. There's a ton of R&D cost that has to be recuperated, but it's really making the M2 look like the bastard child of the M lineup.

The resulting car is going to have to be out of this world, or the press is going to eat it alive. A lot of the same criticisms were levied against the 1M:

"It's a parts bin car."

"It doesn't have a 'real' M-engine."

But when people drove it, those facts took a back seat to the experience. The 1M was/is a hoot to drive. M had better deliver with the M2, because if it is at all soft, toned down, or numb, it's going to get eaten alive in the press and in the minds of buyers.
M5 shares its power plant with the X5M (and is closely related to the X5 50i and 550i/650i). Those seem to sell well.

I don't think you're actually upset that a largely series/production engine is being utilized in the X4M (it makes sense); but rather, that the M2 won't be equipped with a proper M engine (with what that even means, at this point, being a question unto itself).

Me personally- I bet it's a fine power plant, one that will suit both uses well.

The M2 chassis is what should really shine.
Appreciate 0