12-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Ask and ye shall receive!

I've measured the jack range required on my 35i (may be slightly different for other models). These are the actual distances are from the inside surface of the jack point socket to the ground:

Front starting height: 8.75 inches
Front, height required to remove tire/wheel (1/2 inch clearance on new tires): 14.25 inches

Rear starting height (car unloaded): 9.5 inches
Rear, height required to remove tire/wheel (1/2 inch clearance on new tires): 14.25 inches.

If you use a "hat-type" jack point tool you can reduce these numbers by about 1.25 inches, or if you place a hockey puck rubber block under the jack point socket you can reduce the numbers by about 1.75 inches.

It takes considerably more lifting force to lift the car on the front jack points. I'd use a jack rated for at least 1.5 tons to be safe. Also, remember that the E-brake and transmission parking lock only work on the rear wheels. If lifting the rear end of the car, the front-end can roll if it's not blocked. That's especially important if using a bottle jack or a scissor jack.
Awesome thanks.

I bought a 2 ton bottle jack from Sears. It is quite compact which is nice for store in that compartment under the trunk floor (barely fits height wise).

It has a range of 7.25" to 13 11/16". I bought the jack point tool with the big puck on the end so hopefully it is enough. I will have to test it when I get back from my holiday travels.

I did not realize that the parking feature only affects the rear wheels (the parking brake makes sense). It seems like it would be more redundant to have the parking brake lock the rear wheels and the transmission park lock the front. I guess I need to pick up some chocks too. I guess that is good thing to know in case I need to ever tow the car....

Thanks!
Appreciate 0