View Single Post
      11-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55 View Post
I totally agree. In addition to the starter motor there's the small issue of when the actual motor shudders back to life each time - somehow that cannot be good to have the motor go through that repeated on and off on every trip.

I also hate it when I get to a circle, come to a quick stop and (immediate) go because of an opportunity to slip in real fast. But no! the motor has already shut off and there is that delay, however small, to restart it. I think (in my opinion) that it is a safety risk.
I completely agree with this, there have been times where I wanted to stop and then quickly pick up again but the engine had stopped meaning I wasn't able to safely get into the gap I could have got if the car hadn't shut down. I really believe (as another poster has already mentioned) that for the minimal fuel saving its not worth the additional wear on all the other components, regardless if they have been 'beefed up'.

Its merely a PR exercise for the manufacturers and needless to say I was so frustrated with it I went the coding route so I could enable the last setting memory. Now its off and it stays off.

If you want to save the planet buy a different car.
Appreciate 0