10-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55 View Post
I totally agree. In addition to the starter motor there's the small issue of when the actual motor shudders back to life each time - somehow that cannot be good to have the motor go through that repeated on and off on every trip.

I also hate it when I get to a circle, come to a quick stop and (immediate) go because of an opportunity to slip in real fast. But no! the motor has already shut off and there is that delay, however small, to restart it. I think (in my opinion) that it is a safety risk.
You do know you can control whether it kicks it using the brake pedal? I've got used to it now (nearly 2 years in) and it rarely ever kicks in and stops the engine unless I want it to. The exception to this is when you have auto hold switched on

The main problem I have is the opposite: I stop somewhere like a 4-way traffic light crossroads and know I am in for a long wait, i press the brake pedal firmly for it to stop the engine and it doesn't stop (despite the engine being warm, no aircon etc). The next day it will stop with a cold engine only 1 minute into a journey with the blowers on. Sometimes it seems to randomly get it wrong which is frustrating

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0