View Single Post
      10-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #53
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

While I don't think Sport mode has any effect on stiffening the suspension everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want and to be honest for the individuals who do believe that Sport mode changes the suspension their belief isn't harming anyone, if someone wants the active dampers they should order DHP just to be safe, plus there's other goodies in the package.

I too have a SAP non-DHP X3 and don't believe that the suspension is changed when using Sport mode but I understand that there's extra features within configuring Sport mode that aren't emphasized well with simply the highlighted figures nor general terms like "chassis" or "drivetrain." For example it's believed that having "chassis" enabled + putting the shifter to the left is the same thing as enabling both "chassis" & "drivetrain" but this is not the case. If you were to have "chassis" enabled + shifter to the left this only changes the steering wheel tightness and higher shifting points, when you also select "drivetrain" in Sport mode configuration the car instantly downshifts and throttle response is much quicker. However, there's also another feature that doesn't seemed to be discussed anywhere where RPMs seemed to be "locked" to a higher value and you can see this by shifting manually in 8th gear while going 60-70 MPH and having "drivetrain" enabled, the car seems to be locked at a higher RPM and instantly goes back down when disabling "drivetrain."

What I'm getting at is although different people want to believe different things about their X3 the fact is no one has a definitive answer and trying to pick at some small paragraph that BMW wrote isn't the way to go; I mean what if they didn't use the right word to describe a feature or what if they're only generalizing and left some parts out? People should just go on believing what they want since it's their car and their investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post
wow, now I know why Mole dropped off the face of the earth, this is such a painful, painful thread.
Mole had some very insightful posts that were well thought-out but at the same time he was a very angry individual. He would brew up a sh*tstorm anytime someone questions his justification for a response or the validity of his all-knowing BMW engineer connections.

Overall this is a very long thread, multiple threads in fact.
Appreciate 0