09-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Are you planning on installing the Execuhitch yourself?

If so, it would be really great if you took a few pics of the process. I've been considering it and have read the Execuhitch X3 (F25) installation instructions, but am a little leery about removing the bumper cover and then reinstalling it properly.

The Execuhitch only requires a small (4 X 4 inch hole) cut into the lower surface of the bumper cover, but apparently the crossbar mount fits under the existing inner bumper mounts, so the bumper cover and inner bumper beam must be removed/reinstalled to mount the crossbar.
I don't think you can reinstall the bumper beam with the Execuhitch unit -- it fits in the space where the bumper beam was. That gives me a bit of pause, since cars normally count on that bumper beam absorbing crash energy. Would be good to clarify this with the company if it's important to you.

The only other hitch I have seen is Curt's. That is a more traditional drawbar/pin hitch and the hitch beam sits lower. In that case, the bumper beam is reinstalled.

As far as the bumper cover it doesn't look like too tough of a job, but you definitely want a helper when removing and reinstalling it. With only one person, there is too much risk of the cover twisting/sagging under its own weight, with could flex the paint too much.
Appreciate 0