11-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
OK basically I wanted the code if you can get it please, thanks.
Mine has gone back to the dealer on a low loader
It would not reset no matter what I did, I even put the battery on charge all night thinking it may help.
When mine failed it never came back on!!! If that happened at speed it would mean certain "Big Accident" that steering is almost impossible to turn, it makes me a bit wary of the car now, it will take a good while to have confidence in it.
I'm pretty sure that these things are designed to 'fail safe'. So whilst it may require major and considerable effort to move the wheel while stationary or manoeuvring it should be a little easier at speed.
Different system entirely, but I had a belt snap on my power steering some years ago as I was exiting a motorway at a fair lick. The slip road (exit ramp) had a sharp bend at the top and I really thought that I was going to go straight on and over the top but I pulled the wheel around eventually. Part of the problem, I think, is that we are so used to power assistance now and have forgotten what its like without, although a set-up designed for power assistance is always going to be extra heavy without the power.
Appreciate 0