View Single Post
      07-07-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
geordie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Just Installed the Chrome Interior Trim Kit Myself

Basically, the kit is a bunch of stickers, I was thinking it would 'snap on' or something, but basically, it's just plastic strips with 3M adhesive stuff on the back.

It was pretty simple to install, and the instructions the dealership's parts dept printed off for me were a must (they weren't included in the box...). The part is flagged in BMWs system as "no special tools required".

The only thing to watch out for is the "3M primer" which comes on a few little sponges and needs to be applied 10 minutes prior to installing the moulding itself. This stuff was VERY sticky and is REALLY hard to apply just in the thin strips you're looking to apply it to. A bunch of it 'ran over' the area where the trim was going to go due to sloppy swabbing of the sponges. But to be honest, I don't' think I could do it 100% cleanly even if I had a another crack at it.

I tried cleaning up the overrun with the alcohol wipes they supply, plus some rubbing alcohol I had handy, and that worked great for the wood trim and the plastic areas, but NOT SO MUCH on the dash grain as you can see in the photo by that shows the nav screen (look at the streaking on the left of the leftmost nav strip I'm not entirely sure how to clean that off, the primer is almost like a glue compound of some kind.

Anyone have any ideas to safely remove it from the dashboard?

I know it's going to drive me nuts looking at it now.

Anyway, here's the end result, happy to answer anyone's questions:

Last edited by geordie; 07-07-2011 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0