View Single Post
      01-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

new Honda CRV

Previously I had my mind (not heart I hasten to add) set on an X3 but given the number of issues reported on this forum alone and difficulty in finding a 30d or 35d with the spec I want, I decided to look at the new CRV.

Not yet had a test drive as waiting for a diesel manual in EX (top spec) to arrive but from viewing the car, it's very tempting. EX spec comes fully loaded and whilst some of the interior trim quality is not on par with the X3, the fit and build quality certainly is. The leather trim is just as good too. Interior space is much better, especially the almost flat rear floor as no bulky transmission hump. It feels much more spacious in the back, particularly width wise and the rear seats recline too. It's 7cm shorter than the X3 but the boot is 589L. I put this down to the X3 needing to accomodate a straight six longitudinal but CRV is transverse 4cyl. No doubt the weight distribution is better with the X3 too.

CRV comes with a full diameter but 70% width spare tyre and normal tyres.
Honda (from What Car, Which? and JD Power surveys) seem to have great reliability too.

Having driven a 30d Msport last year I was most dissappointed with the steering and brakes. I reserve judgement on it's cornering ablilities as yet to try. Though I'm fairly sure dynamically the X3 (with VDC) will trounce the CRV but then I'll be coming from an M3 so both will feel shite.

New CRV has received good reviews save for the steering and seems to offer better value for money, in depreciation the X3 loses less % wise, but in absolute terms the CRV wins.

Therefore once I'm able to test drive one properly, I'll then retest a 30d properly and make an informed decision. If I can handle the lack of performance (I am now used to joining motorways and getting up to speed very quickly) and recalibrate, the 2.2 diesel might be all that I need after a remap. It also passifies the wife and will allow me to get another M3 in the future as a 2nd car for w/end fun and track days.

I just wondered if anyone on this forum has looked at the new CRV and had relevant feedback?
Appreciate 0