View Single Post
      12-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #70
dave169
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 2.8i

Steering Error

I am also having this issue. Brand new 2012 X-3 2.8i. Intermittent error reports steering may be affected, and can hardly turn the wheel. When the error happens, restarting usually clears it temporarily and I can drive, but if it ever happened on the road, I can't imagine steering it as it is worse than standard - non-power steering. I know the 2011's had a recall for this, but I can't believe they allowed it to happen again! This appears to be very dangerous. Fortunately, I have been doing business with this dealer for years, and my rep made sure I was taken care of with a suitable BMW loaner (despite service's claim that there were absolutely no loaners left). Car is now in shop and awaiting news.
Another minor possible issue - Car hesitates when accelerating - slight, but very noticeable if you have experience driving them. Even in sport mode, it almost feels like it is "slipping". I know the engine is the smaller one w/out fuel injection, but I have had 2 previous x-3s, and both had the immediate acceleration I have come to expect from BMW.
Anyone else notice compromised performance that does not match the high engine rev? Perhaps an adjustment needs to be made?
Anyway, the steering is the main issue presently. I'm sure BMW will make it right.
Appreciate 0