Thread: seat comfort
View Single Post
      10-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
If you're new to BMW, and especially if you're new to German cars - the seats will feel much firmer than what you're used to. American and Japanese cars go for the "comfy chair" feel, which feels nice at first but does not provide much support over time. Like an overstuffed chair or soft mattress. That "ahh, this feels nice" comfort fades once you're back starts killing you from lack of support.

I prefer the firm support of the BMW seats, but I do draw a big distinction between the 'regular' seats and the sports seats. The extra bolsters and adjustments of the sports seats provide more support and comfort, and if you combine them with power option you can adjust them for a custom fit.

The very best are the X5 multi-contour seats... but the X3 seats are pretty good. I find as I get older I need a higher position - coupes and sedans tend to make you keep your legs too extended which is fatiguing over time. The SAV gives you more of a chair-like position and more comfort options for your legs. This also takes pressure off your lower back.

The X3 seats are really the same as the 3 Series, but set higher.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0