View Single Post
      02-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #70
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Well ksoze, I have to say that your scepticism may have been well placed and my optimism misplaced

This answer completely contradicts the answer that I got a day before and the phone number in the email signature suggests that they are in exactly the same office, probably sitting next to each other!

Bang goes the credibility of BMW Group UK. What completely beggars belief for me is that they can give two answers that completely contradict each other and deliver them without caveats. It's not, "we think it should be available, but we need to wait on information from BMW in Germany", it's "absolutely, you can, go for it". I've never experienced anything quite like it.

I've forwarded this email back to the guy that emailed me and will post the response.

Joy is often confused and doesn't really understand what she is giving you.
Yea but in the correspondence you had from them ... nowhere did it talk about retrofit or accessory option (other than purchasing the cradle.

It just talked about how much the option cost and a dumb down point of view of what it consist of. Software and cradle.

So ... for me at least, reading the new correspondence simply complemented information you already got, didn't counter it .. and simply stated this option was only available as a factory option.

Further ... even if you think about the cradle ... Thats just one part of the story. The cradle sits in a base plate. With it's own connector and pin outs. When 6NF was introduced the base plate got changed from the original base plate to accommodate audio out with new pin outs. The base plate will change again for 6NR to accommodate video out. I'm sure of it. So ... unless BMW are already fitting the base plates to support video out (and associated wiring to the Combox) to cars now, expect a change for that at least.

I guess, anyone that has taken delivery with the smart phone option, take a snap of your base plate (remove the plastic cover though ;-) and post it here. I'll tell you if its different from the existing music only 6FL base plate.

Last edited by apw2607; 02-03-2011 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0