View Single Post
      01-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #46
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I refuse to install a trickle charger on a $70k car.

If my car every fails to start because of a battery issue I'll deal the car on a Acura.

There are absolutely no excuses for mickey mouse engineering on a premium car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
There is no need for a trickle charger on a new car. Period.

Maybe BMW needs to hire a Ford or General Motors or Hyundai engineer to teach them how to design a charging system.

The design fault is unacceptable and BMW owners who rationalize a design faulty by using a trickle charger doesn't help.

Owners should let BMW know the design fault is unacceptable and BMW should acknowledge the fault and upgrade the car's software to permit proper operation.

Driving profile my arse... My 80+ year old mother has a 1996 Nissan which is used maybe twice a week for very short trips and it doesn't require a trickle charger... then again a Nissan engineer designed the car.
That's certainly your prerogative. But I'll bet your BMW does much more than your Ford/GM/Hyundai/Nissan ever did, and more efficiently.

I wouldn't call it mickey mouse engineering, I'd say it's more a matter of ever-increasing demands for electronic gizmos, performance, and efficiency. Every single car ad you see on TV boasts about fuel economy, CAFE regulations are here to stay - every mpg counts, even when you're driving a 4,500lb SUV that does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. They've stepped just a little bit too far and need to dial it back just a bit.

I do agree on your point that BMW needs to step up and acknowledge/fix the issue, but I'm in no hurry to sell or replace my X3 (trickle charger attached).
Appreciate 0