View Single Post
      01-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #45
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

There is no need for a trickle charger on a new car. Period.

Maybe BMW needs to hire a Ford or General Motors or Hyundai engineer to teach them how to design a charging system.

The design fault is unacceptable and BMW owners who rationalize a design faulty by using a trickle charger doesn't help.

Owners should let BMW know the design fault is unacceptable and BMW should acknowledge the fault and upgrade the car's software to permit proper operation.

Driving profile my arse... My 80+ year old mother has a 1996 Nissan which is used maybe twice a week for very short trips and it doesn't require a trickle charger... then again a Nissan engineer designed the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
What is the rationale for that viewpoint?

I've no problem with trickle charging my $110k (£60k GBP) BMW. Have done so as a matter of course this winter, as I don't use the car too many miles through December time.

I've done it with other cars over the years, including BMW, to prevent any issues.

Can't see the problem, if my driving profile gets near to what I believe is leaving my battery partly charged.

Certainly wouldn't consider selling my car because the battery needs a proper charge. I'd see that as "cutting my nose off, to spite my face".

HighlandPete