07-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #27
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
A simple honest answer without the snide overtones would have been much better.

Yes, I do take responsibility for not test driving a X3 without the expensive add-on options designed to correct their design mistakes. I was an early adopter with an amazing trade in offer on my 2010 X3 on the table and the only models available for test were fully loaded in that department. I ordered a couple of weeks after the national rollout "X3 experience" event where I drove their loaded X3.

Having driven BMW’s since the 80’s (including 2 previous generation X3’s) I was still under the impression that BMW made driver’s cars and was not trying to compete with the likes of Lexus to see who could strip a car of any road feel or driver feedback and win the award for the most isolated feel in its class. The brand “BMW” used to mean something. That’s why I refer to this car as a “bmw”.

As I’ve said, I enjoy the <strike>Lexus</strike> “bmw” X3 in every other respect, and the other features compensate enough to give me good overall satisfaction with the car. If it were possible to mod this car via adjustment, programming, replacing tires, upping the wheels from 17 to 18’s then it would be worth it to me. But I guess the answer’s no, so I’ll live with my mistake and drive this as-is until it’s time to trade it in. This will most likely be my last BMW and I certainly won’t buy another “bmw” as I’ll be in search of something that DOES provide good driver feedback.
It was an honest, simple, direct answer. Didn't use enough words to be snide. That was your read, not my intent. Your view of the steering us yours and I don't disagree -- it doesn't matter as much to me and I don't think the feel is as bad as it seems to you, but I know where you're coming from. In the end, the answer to your question is that the steering feel is adjustable if you chose to equip the car with that option, and not adjustable if you ddn't.