View Single Post
      10-21-2011, 05:32 AM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I'd just think of it this way, DTC allows some slip. What situations do you want that?

For me, taking off on ice or slick snow where DSC is shutting everything down, but as soon as I'm rolling consistently it's back to DSC. Or, dry clean roads when I'm having a bit of fun and allowing a little slip might increase the speed I can go through some corners (not convinced I'm really going that fast with this higher vehicle, but maybe -- haven't encountered any "light side squeal", so I doubt it) or change the dynamic of a spirited take off. Maybe in sand if DSC also shuts you down, but haven't had the experience.

For me, I don't really want to introduce slip. Slip in normal driving almost always equates to loss of control, the momentum of the vehicle going off in the wrong direction, and an increased possibility that efforts to maintain path and correct that errant momentum will break grip completely and result in a bad situation. Going downhill over unstable terrain would be the last time/place I'd use DTC. I'd rather the car take a conservative approach to the point of shutting me down and bringing me to a stop. Then, in that unstable of a situation, I'd give the hill descent a try. I wouldn't switch to DTC, telling the car to let me slip because that would increase the chance of me slipping out of control.

To the best of my understanding, DTC doesn't "add" anything, it only loosens boundaries on allowable loss of traction. So, switching to this mode would not increase "stability control" -- though I'm not quite certain what stability control means to you. Stability of a vehicle is kind of a broad term that could encompass a whole lot of things.

DSC does help with braking because it works to keep all wheels in traction -- an essential condition for braking.

As indicated above, it's turning off (or down) a very effective safety system. Gotta have a really specific reason and/or be in a very safe circumstance.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has come across information indicating whether or not the vehicle is more, less, or equally effective with regard to DSC with DHP suspension set to Sport or Normal. For example, over uneven surfaces (wet potholes or ruts, or rough snow and ice, say) and not in a performance driving circumstance, is one or the other better and keeping the wheels down on the surface and in traction?

Last edited by Nahoa; 10-21-2011 at 05:42 AM..
Appreciate 0