View Single Post
      09-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
BMW now specifies that the transmission, transfer case and F/R differentials are "lubricated for life". However, that statement depends on your definition of "life". A number of owners of older X5s and a few X3s have reported transfer case failures due to lubrication problems in their transfer cases at around 80,000 miles. I'd certainly want to change those fluids at 50K or so.

The problem with trying to change those fluids is that the X3, like many new vehicles, has neither drain plugs or filler ports on many of the driveline components. What used to be a simple job requiring only hand tools, now takes special, factory pumping equipment, and can't be done by home mechanics or most independent shops. If you want that kind of maintenance done you're obligated to go to a BMW dealership.
Is there a time limit aside from the mileage? My driving characteristic is mostly around town with frequent stop and go traffic over short distances. 50k miles would possibly mean "for life" to me (my previous car is an '01 Mercedes with approx 38,000 miles to the odo). I don't want to take any chances though and I plan to keep this car longer than 5 yrs (that is if i'm not tempted to something else )
Appreciate 0