View Single Post
      04-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
It has more to do with dealership relationship right now, I'm afraid. But that does not mean you shouldn't expect a break and receive one (after all, a prospecive new customer is attractive too).

Most dealers are making between 7 and 8 percent on MSRP, so use that as a baseline and decide what you are willing to pay. The best advice is to set you "low" number (i.e. $x over invoice or x% off sticker) and negotiate UP from there - not DOWN from MSRP. Know how high you're willing to go, and be prepared to walk away if you feel a fair deal can't be reached.

The X3 is smoking hot right now, and there are no BMW incentives to the dealers, so anything you get off sticker is out of their pockets. Set your expectations accordingly so you don't feel "insulted" if they offer you a smaller discount that you feel worthy of.

On my first BMW (E90 launch car in 2005) I got $500 off - at a time when no discounts or incentives were being offered - again hot new model with order pouring in. Each deal has gotten progressively better since, as I become a more valued return customer. The X3 I just ordered is my fifth with the dealership in less than six years.

I don't subscribe to the "screw them and get invoice price or below" mentality because I value the relationship, and if they don't make a penny off me I'm not a good customer. But I also expect a good deal....

Ask around for advice from folks you know, etc. Then go with a strategy with which you are comfortable. Don't be afraid to just ask them "what is the best you can do for me?".

Best of luck and happy negotiating!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0