08-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbage View Post
I believe it's "Replaced ZGM and reprogrammed". "ZGM" is some computer piece. I don't know any more, except that keeping my X3 35i for weeks and giving me a Corolla in exchange, and charging me $20 for the Corolla is not impressing me.

The dealer staff was nice and friendly, but there's definitely something crappy about this.
In BMW talk, the ZGM is the "Zentral Gateway Module" or "Central Gateway Module" for those without a German accent. Commonly referred to as the CPU or main computer by the rest of the world. I guess the BMW engineers confuse "Z"s with "C"s.

It's really a shame that BMW doesn't have a corporate policy regarding loaner vehicles. The policy is set by the individual dealer franchises. In most "big city" US dealerships, a BMW loaner vehicle will be given to a customer who is having warrantee work done at the original "purchase" store. If you purchased elsewhere, most US dealers will be reluctant to offer a free loaner. When my X3 was in for approximately (2) weeks we were given a new (300 miles) 328i xDrive and then a new (50 miles) 535i. The only limit our dealer put on the loaner was a maximum of 150 miles per day use. If that average was exceeded the loaner/rental contract specified a $50/day charge.
Appreciate 0