View Single Post
      08-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyb62 View Post
I notice the lag in my 2014 2.8. When I go to sports its not quite as noticeable however when I take my wife's Sonata 2.0T and do a compare the X3 is like an elephant coming off the line, even in sport mode. However once you get up in RPMs the X3 pulls harder.
Given this I am always in sport mode in the city.
Indeed. Having driven most every major Mnfr's vehicles for over 40 years, many manuals and automatics included, this is the only vehicle I've ever had in which a lag occurs when the accelerator is aggressively pushed. This includes our 3 previous 3 series, 3 previous 5 series, and our 7 series. As mentioned already, it is less than a second, and then the engine 'kicks in'. Yesterday tried Sport mode - still a lag from a dead start when accelerator pushed hard, albeit seemed less. Hard to believe it is simply a learning curve for a transmission's software - seems more centrally rooted, almost as if a chip somewhere is first trying to analyze whether all tires are gripping and if it needs to send the power differentially to each wheel, or as if it is trying to calculate the amount of gas and air mixture, or ...? Also difficult to believe if the gas and air is being immediately mixed with the accelerator push why doesn't an immediate RPM and engine increase occur?

It seems somewhere in the circuitry, that signal to 'open the gates' isn't happening spontaneously, and may explain why some notice a longer lag than others. Just as 3 year old computers are slower than new ones, could it be something as simple as an errantly slow chip or board in those of us with this issue?
Appreciate 1