View Single Post
      11-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
chewietobbacca
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Throttle Issues/Lurching Still Present in 2012's?

Hi all,

I've been helping my folks research a new SUV and the redesigned X3 caught my eye. I noticed that 2011 reviews tended to talk about the throttle un-evenness as being an issue, but I didn't really think about it until I took my parents to test drive it.

We test drove a 2011 X3 28i (dealer didn't have any 2012's on the lot) and to my surprise, my mother of all people felt the car was sluggish/heavy feeling (i know, i know, it's only a 28i) but I didn't feel the same way. Of course, my driving style tends to push the throttle more which after looking up the issue, seems to occur when people push the throttle too lightly and thus the car lurches once it suddenly reaches a certain input point.

So I had a few questions:

1. Did the 2012's fix this? Or is this one of those design things (to save fuel, I'd imagine)?

2. Is there a difference in this between the 28i's and 35i's? Obviously, the 35i's are going to be much quicker and pull harder, but is throttle lurch still there?

3. I've read that getting the dynamic handling package and leaving the car in sport/sport+ mode helps with this issue. Is this true?

Finally, has anyone with 2011's noticed whether the car adapts to driving habits and/or gotten used to this? Coming from an M3, I'm used to the car getting up and going smoothly, not this unevenness.

The car itself was perfect, it's just annoying to see so much of the car so well done only to have a pretty important thing feel wrong.
Appreciate 0