08-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What year was your previous F25? The reason I ask is, mine is a 2014 pre lci and as mentioned above in terms of connection with the road I didn't feel any difference in the lci.
I have no doubt that what you say is so as a lot depends on tyre/wheel size, profile, whether it’s run flat or not and of course the suspension. Mine was a 2013 with 17inch 225x60 profile as I opted for a more comfortable ride though factory made a mistake and gave me RFT’s which I refused to pay extra for. The difference between that spec and my current non-RFT (also 17”) 245x55 is like “chalk and cheese” in terms of handling and road feel and I put that down to just specing the variable sports steering at a miniscule cost of £290 or 0.6% of the price of the vehicle and it has restored my faith in BMW (almost!).

That is purely my direct experience based on similar wheel sizes and may well be different for different wheel parameters people are looking at, thus my recommendation to test it first.

The problem is that dealers don’t have demonstrators with the myriad of options customers may be wishing to try, so it’s difficult to test the ride/feel of variable sport steering with a particular wheel size or suspension set-up before ordering. Clearly demonstrator vehicles are more likely to have pricier luxury options because of a bigger profit margin, than something low cost but more practical with a direct impact on driving pleasure like VST. I opted for VST after sampling just the Servotronic-only option on an M version demonstrator (no VST) which of course had bigger and wider wheels, so I knew I would at least have a softer ride and hopefully improved steering response over and above the servo, due to VST. The result - fantastic!