02-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
At least on mine in the US, there's no separate configuration. The changes to the steering are connected to the "chassis" adjustment in the Dynamic Driving Control configurations which modify the Dynamic Damping Control, Variable Sport Steering, and transmission settings.

Normal is normal; no configuration.

Sport Mode can be applied to "Chassis" (Suspension and Steering), "Drivetrain" (Transmission), or "Both".

It's unclear to me so far what happens with Sport+ other than switching DTC on. There's no configuration. Does it follow the Sport mode settings (i.e. Chassis, Drivetrain, or Both)? Or is it always both?

From the manual on VSS:
"Variable sport steering*
The variable sport steering is designed for sporty driving.
It increases the steering angle of the front wheels at large steering wheel angles, e.g., in tight curves or when parking. Steering becomes more direct.
It also varies the steering force required to turn the wheels in accordance with the vehicle speed.
This results in a sporty steering response. In ad‐ dition, it becomes easier to steer during parking and maneuvering."

It has the * on it, so it could be different in different countries. Dunno.
In the UK VSS includes servotronic and you can't have VSS without servo. I think what VSS gives you in addition is the ability to select Normal, Sport and Sport+ a la VDC.

This means my previous post about the 5th gear reviewer was wrong. He was right to call it VSS, but it's specifically the servo part of VSS.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0