View Single Post
      10-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #10
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Some more observations:

# There should be a button for the electric tailgate in the cockpit.

# Material quality: Some people criticized the plastic of the lower door pockets; I think they are not great (not Audi level), but what really is a joke is that small flip-out tray under the light switch. That material is like taken from an egg crate.

# "Hofmeister kink" from the inside: That raise in the belt line makes me think there is another car hiding close to my blind spot every time I do a lane change. Will get used to that I guess.

# The ride is surprisingly sporty, with very little body roll in faster curves. But at the same time quite comfortable and it soaks up potholes quite nicely (even on RF). I observed a very slight tendency for pitch oscilations over short ripples (that might change with a little load, and is certainly a question of speed and frequency).

# That energy efficiency thing needs some getting used to. The car does not "sail" (as Porsche calls that now) very well. We have a long stretch of downhill autobahn here where with my Audi coupe I easily reached 120kmh/75mph in idle, the X3, though quite a bit heavier, gets only up to 90kmh/55mph.

# The steering is very nice, just very nice. Can't yet say it has an awful lot of feedback but the weighting is just lovely.

# Xenon lights give a wide and bright beam pretty far out, perfect for wine region village nights with drunk folks and cats populating the streets. I have those swivelling front lights and they feel very natural, in fact I didn't notice their activity at all.
Appreciate 0