04-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #152
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
I don't know this, because I'm not an SUV fan. To me, their purpose seems to be to block my vision while clogging the passing lane. But how many other manufacturers make this many SUV models? Probably GM, I'm sure. But I don't think the other 2 domestics have that many. And why? If you need an SUV, why buy a fake SUV like the X4 or X6, which have less cargo space than a 5 Series? What's next? Pick 'em up trucks? Hummers? (Marketing idea...Bummers!). Minivans? I wonder if their dealerships have been advised to double the size of their showrooms.
BMW's intent for this car type may not speak to you. Which is totally OK, by the way.

BMW is not trying to offer competing models against other car companies. What they are trying to do is to deliver the BMW ownership experience to more people who want BMWs but have varying needs.

They aren't building SUVs as alternatives for people who would be driving Tahoes otherwise. They're building SUVs for people who would be driving 3 and 5 series cars otherwise, but who can't or don't want to for whatever reason.

I don't think anyone will cross-shop an X4 against a pickup, or even, say, a Chevy Equinox. Rather, they'll cross shop against a 4 series coupe, which they want but can't have because it lacks clearance or rear doors. The X4 gives them a similar sporty image but in a form factor that works for them.

Last edited by WilliCO; 04-17-2013 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0