View Single Post
      05-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
I do not think it will be based on the N55/N54 though. The N54 doesn't make any sense at this point--- it won't meet the emissions targets for the coming years. Sure they could rework it but IDK--- its an old platform. The N55 is more believable but even then I'm not so sure.
Well, once you rework either of them to a tri-turbo setup, the difference boils down to Valvetronic or not. However, that too, will have always been something that M Division will weigh independently for their own needs anyway. In other words, debating about whether it is based upon the N54 or N55 might be hair splitting. Of course, I am sure they don't have the same shortblock either - maybe not even the same bore/stroke (can't remember). In any case, I personally don't have too much passion about it one way or the other. All I know is that S54 is already taken, so S55 would work out very nicely.

Quote:
I think we're about to witness the death of the inline 6 to be honest.
That is a possibility who's day may indeed one day come. But I still have a hard time believing that an M vehicle will usher in the era of the BMW V6. If and when such a time comes, I expect it will occur in conjunction with an entirely new platform that no longer needs the elongated engine compartment to accomodate the I6. If you think about it, it doesn't really make sense to design a platform to hold both a V6 and an I6. And for that matter it makes no sense to be dumping development into V6 and I6 engines at the same time either.

Quote:
A tri-turbo inline six doesn't make sense...
There have been rumors to the effect for years, though previously it was with regard to a diesel engine. In fact, as far as I know, that engine has not been killed off and is still set to debut sometime this year. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Well this confirms F3X M3 will have tri-turbo V6...
Hope that was sarcasm, erhanh? All this rumor does is get added the quickly growing stack, spark even more debate, and leave us with even more unanswered questions.
Appreciate 0