View Single Post
      04-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
Legaleagle4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2 View Post
My tires are $240 installed @ Costco. There's a $50 deductible. They were offering a 5 year program to me for $1347 (after a 10% discount).

Here's the spreadsheet if anyone wants to try it out.

Thanks,
PB2
I have been driving in Boston area for over 40 years. Have had four flats in that time, no rim damage. If I had taken out tire insurance for every car every time, I would have spent far more than the cost or replacing 4 tires (or even 8 tires if done in pairs). One must look at this from a long term perspective. I only get insurance against catastrophic events and self-insure or higher deductible against the "smaller" exposures.
Nonetheless, I only had 3500 miles on my 2011 X3 when the TPMS senor went off. I inspected the tire. It had 28 lbs of pressure and a tack sticking out. I re-inflated tire and called the dealer. They needed to order a replacement tire (Pirelli P7 245/50/ R18 RFT). They quoted a price of $365for tire alone and about $100 in addtional labor. I quoted the Pirelli Run Flat road hazard warranty (found on CD that comes with car). The Pirelli warranty says no charge replacement (including tire and labor) if tire is damaged during first year and 2/32 or less of wear. If more than a year or more wear, then pro-rated charge on tire and owner pays labor. Dealer thanlked me for the information and presented the claim to Pirelli. Dealer will be reimbursed and I was not charged.

"There are a 8 million stories in the naked city. This has been just one."
Appreciate 0