11-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenxxxx1 View Post
Can anyone inform if there is a separate Tyre Pressure Monitoring Programme for BMW X3's with run flat tyres?

Previous to having work done (unrelated fuel tank replacement) at a BMW dealer the tyre pressure indicator would alert on detecting a drop of a few lb's and instruct to drive to the nearest dealer. After the work, my tyre pressure sensors were not functioning at all (had a puncture and car didn't know) more work at BMW to correct the issue. To test I let some air out and after a few miles the display instructed to pull over immediately.

BMW told me they have loaded the latest tyre pressure monitor programme and it's the only one they have, but it looks to me like they would need two, one for standard tyres and one for run flats as run flats circumference don't change much with pressure changes. Also the new dashboard message does not correlate with a car on run flats.
The TPMS is exactly the same for run flat tyres as it is for standard tyres, on your year car in the UK, and only one system is used (unless a previous owner has fitted an aftermarket kit) and is in the iDrive menu. After inflating your tyres to the correct pressures you reset it. The instructions on how to do this are in your manual. It is important you read and understand how the system works.
Appreciate 0