View Single Post
      03-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #39
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer View Post
This is a very old (almost ancient) thread but I am worried about my mpg for the past 500 miles. I have a lead foot but my average is 15 mpg (95% in comfort mode) in city driving; My commute is pretty short (about 10 miles) in heavy traffic both ways. Sometimes I have the feeling that my X3 does a better mpg in sport mode. Could it this be true? Why is my mpg so low?

My lifetime average in 5500 miles (city+hwg) according to the iDrive is 17.9 mpg

Info: 2014 X3 Xdrive28i, 93 octane gas, Pirelli P7 cinturato all season RFT, Miami FL
I've only had my 2015 x3 xD28i for a week but I've noticed two things:

- The car uses a LOT more gas when the engine is cold. My fuel use always spikes off the chart for the first few minutes of driving each morning. However, I see you're in Florida so I doubt your engine is as cold as mine (it's been between -10 and 0 celcius this week).

- The car uses a LOT more gas when you drive with a heavy foot. This is kind of obvious. I just miss my old car (a 2008 Civic Si) which had about the same EPA numbers (21/29) and the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, but I could drive the crap out of it and still get 23 mpg. I still wouldn't trade back in a million years

Learn to drive with a lighter foot. Save your engine and your fuel... And save heavy throttle for 'sometimes.' Or drive like you stole it and smile at the fact that at least you enjoyed using all that gas
Appreciate 0