09-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #37
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
One should not. It's all Bluetooth. The problem has been, and may still be, Apple's support for Bluetooth MAP on the iPhone.

There are probably a few people with Android phones who have been doing this for months, and who are getting a nice chuckle.
Yes, like me. All kidding aside, like you said you do not need 6NR for this to work. It's purely over Bluetooth and as long as your Bluetooth stack has the MAP profile which I understand iOS6 adds to at least the iPhone 4 and above, it should work. There are threads here from earlier this year where someone helped me out to get my then HTC Vivid working with this and now my Samsung GS3 also works with it like a charm.

I am one of those hybrid users and I have both Android and an iPhone 4 (soon to be 5). I have BMW Apps as well which I use with my iPhone and as a side note, I'm anxious to find out if the 5 will work with BMW Apps since I have heard both sides that it should and should not work. lol

But for the text messaging and email - you definitely do not need 6NR.

The text message option is very cool b/c how many times do you get a text msg while driving and you can't (shouldn't) pull your phone out to check. Being able to reply would be great but that's for the next version of iDrive.
Appreciate 0