View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
ericthedriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i (2011)

Q5 and X3 might be similar on specs, but you have to see the two brands represent very different lifestyles. I'm surprised that people don't discuss this when they shop for cars.

Audi has a very safe image. Its cars are mostly all-rounders. They all look great, on paper and in person. It's built for people who think they are tasteful, understated (not really true), and tech-savy. It's probably the most German out of the three German luxury brands. Audi cars are very nice, but quite formal. If you wear a suit and a tie, plus a blue-booth piece in your ear more than 75% of of the time when you drive the car, then by all means, get an audi. That's your car.

Bimmers are much more casual and quite forgiving of who you are and what you wear. You can be anyone driving an old 328 and people would just think you like driving cars. Because BMWs are mostly built as a driver's car. It's not just an advertisement. There's some truth in it. It's the least uptight and formal brands of the three Germans. When I and my wife were shopping for the small suv, we knew the q5 was excellent with very good resale value but we didn't even test it after sitting in its cabin. It's just not for us. We got x3 the next day.

Buying luxury cars are not about finding the best buys. It's about finding the lifestyle you want. And Audi and BMW can not be more different in this regard. Take a look at your overall style and you should come up with an answer within minutes. Good luck with your choice!

Last edited by ericthedriver; 07-18-2012 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Typos!
Appreciate 0