greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Last few days I've been starting the car with my door open and noticed that for the first 20 seconds of a cold start it runs very loud. After 20 seconds it quiets down a lot. RPM's are fine even on cold start. I've revved it in neutral to 3,000 rpm and it runs quiet, not even close to the first 20 seconds of a cold start.

Any idea why it runs so loud? I was thinking initial cold start routes the exhaust via the direct exist in the muffler, then it switches to the alternate quieter path. Now that I've heard how loud it is with the door open I want to be sure it's normal.
Mine definately sounds like you describe on startup, but i don't think its a bad sound or a problem. I kind of like that sound. Its kind of manly, although perhaps not enough for mr X5 in that other thread.
Appreciate 0