View Single Post
      01-19-2019, 01:42 AM   #9
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamanda View Post
My X3 28i was at 82,000 miles. I've been pro-active with maintenance and always serviced my car at BMW. All systems were "OK" previous to heading into the Mountains. While passing a car at 65 MPH heading up a mountain curve, my car lost all power, went into neutral coasting mode. I thankfully was able to pull over. Once car was stopped, it went into Park. I though maybe I could turn it off and restart it. As I pressed the button to turn off, the car said "caution, turning car off, car might not restart." I then tried to just get the car into Drive or Reverse or Neutral. Nothing was working. The car was stuck in park. The tow driver could not manually get it to move, or even jump start it (the car would not even turn off, and so battery was close to dying after we were abandoned for 4 hours on side of a mountain road). The first service center said the engine oil looked fine (no coolant or debris in oil which could have been a cause to an engine failure). They recommended a new engine yet had no reason for this happening. They suggested maybe BMW service could find the cause. I paid over $200 to get my car towed to a BMW service center and they said the same thing. Unless they did a serious investigation in taking the engine apart, no way to tell why the engine seized. They agreed I've taken care of it, and it did not show any cause on my end. I found many articles about BMW engine failures, and how this specific N20 engine in my year of car had a poor design and how BMW hasn't been doing all the recalls that they should be doing. I took the high road before starting to engage in social media and reached out to BMW customer relations. They opened a case and it took them six business days to get me a half-asses attempt to help me. They admitted my car has an extended warranty on the oil feed line to turbo charger (which some mechanics have found this to be a cause for this engine to fail, and it makes sense, since when I was in turbo mode is when my car failed). I have an extended warranty up to 10 years or 100K miles, so my car should be covered. The Executive case worker who gave me the half-assed news told me: well, if you want to have the repair shop break the engine down and find that to be the cause, you can resubmit the information and maybe more could be covered." I'm EXTREMELY disappointed that a company who has so many claims against them for this exact cause on my exact engine wants to only help me out half way. I still owe more than the car is worth (also another common thing for BMW's is the value depreciates so extremely much after 50K miles, it's common to be upside down in this car) and now I have to put more money into a car if I want it to even drive. I've been without a car for two weeks now, and I'm just getting an answer that they'll help out 50% of the way. I've already shared this news with a few execs I work with (I"m an executive recruiter) and they have told me "hmm, I've always been a fan of BMW, I"m surprised they aren't taking accountability." Of course, most people with a lot of money don't typically have over 60K miles on their cars. They have money to pay for newer models. People like me, who have always wanted a BMW and can finally afford one (well be car poor) comes into a situation like this, this is how they treat an X3 owner. I have enough social media connections to really blow BMW up this matter. This is my first time writing on this matter and I first wanted to see what they'd offer me as a solution. Their half-assed solution leads me to have boiling blood, it's 100% unethical in my opinion. I see all sorts of legal groups learning enough to have cases opened on this. I wonder if anyone has more information on all the groups I can connect with to know which law group I should jump into?
Where did you buy your car? Also, have they established what the single point of failure was?
Appreciate 0